Thursday, September 3, 2026

 

Day 16 –  September 3, 2026

A Perfect Farewell to Rovinj

There is something special about the last full day in a place you’ve grown attached to. The pressure to see everything is gone, replaced by the simple desire to enjoy the places that have already become favorites.

The morning began with one practical task: mailing home the growing collection of treasures I’d accumulated over the past two weeks. My package weighed 5.5 kilograms—proof that Europe has a way of following me home in the form of books, clothes, art, and little discoveries. €69 later, I walked out of the post office noticeably lighter, both literally and mentally.

With that taken care of, I headed back into Rovinj’s old town for one final wander through its stone streets.

And then…I made what may have been today’s least surprising decision.

I returned to the Croatian designer’s boutique that had captivated me yesterday.

Apparently one visit wasn’t enough.

I ended up leaving with four more pieces and the matching belt. Their designs felt unlike anything I’d seen elsewhere—modern, artistic, wearable, and distinctly Croatian. Sometimes you find a designer whose style simply clicks with you, and this was definitely one of those moments.

The afternoon was spent exactly where I wanted to be: Golden Cape Forest Park.

One last leisurely walk beneath the magnificent Mediterranean canopy of Aleppo pines, stone pines, evergreen holm oaks, cypresses, and other coastal trees, with the warm scent of pine resin drifting through the air and mixing with the salty Adriatic breeze. It is such a magical combination that it’s difficult to describe unless you’ve experienced it yourself.

Of course, the walk ended with another swim in my favorite little cove.

Over these past few days, this place has become much more than just somewhere to swim. Floating in the unbelievably clear Adriatic, surrounded by pine-covered shores, has been one of the defining experiences of my time in Croatia. It creates a feeling of complete immersion in nature that’s hard to find anywhere else.

Rather than leaving when evening approached, I stayed.

Watching my final Rovinj sunset from that little cove felt like exactly the right way to say goodbye. The light softened over the water, the rocks glowed warm in the evening sun, and the sea gradually shifted from brilliant turquoise to deep shades of blue as another perfect Adriatic day came to an end.

By the time I walked back to Hotel Eden it was already late, so instead of heading back into town, I had dinner at the hotel’s Oleander restaurant.

It turned out to be a lovely ending to the day.

I started with creamy burrata and ripe tomatoes, followed by beautifully cooked turbot served with vegetables, and finished with an apple strudel for dessert. It wasn’t the most elaborate dinner of the trip, but it was delicious, relaxing, and exactly what I needed before packing for tomorrow’s early departure.

As I packed my suitcase that evening, I realized Rovinj had quietly become one of my favorite destinations of the entire journey.

It wasn’t because of a single famous attraction.

It was the rhythm of the place.

Morning swims in crystal-clear water. Cycling and walking through fragrant pine forests. Long dinners in the old town. Watching sunsets over the Adriatic. Discovering local artists and designers. Taking my time instead of rushing.

Some places impress you.

Others simply make you happy.

Rovinj turned out to be one of the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment