Day 43 - September 30th, 2026
Perugia: Layers of History and an Evening of Music
When I first planned my time in Umbria, I thought of Perugia mainly as a convenient base for visiting Assisi. By the end of the day, I realized that was selling the city far short. Perugia doesn’t demand attention the way Florence or Rome do—it reveals itself gradually, layer by layer, rewarding anyone willing to slow down.
I started the morning with breakfast at Pinturicchio Cafe+Kitchen, a relaxed beginning before setting out to explore the city.
One of the day’s highlights was the Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria. The museum offered a beautiful journey through Umbrian art, with masterpieces spanning the Middle Ages and the Renaissance. After weeks of visiting churches throughout France and northern Italy, seeing these paintings in their regional context made many familiar names and artistic styles come together in a new way.
From there I descended into one of Perugia’s most fascinating places: Rocca Paolina. Rather than simply touring a fortress, I found myself walking through an entire buried medieval neighborhood. Stone streets, arches, and passageways survive beneath the massive Renaissance fortress built after the city was conquered. Few places make history feel so tangible—you literally walk through one century while another rises above your head.
Perugia itself felt wonderfully authentic. It is a lively university city, but one that has managed to preserve its medieval character without feeling like an open-air museum. Wandering its streets, climbing staircases, and emerging unexpectedly into elegant piazzas became as enjoyable as visiting the major sights themselves.
Dinner was at Trattoria Oberdan, where I enjoyed bruschetta followed by creamy strangozzi pasta and a quarter-liter of local white wine. After a full day of walking, it was exactly the kind of simple Umbrian meal that felt comforting rather than elaborate.
The perfect ending came later that evening. I attended the closing concert of the 81st Sagra Musicale Umbra in the magnificent Basilica di San Pietro. The program featured Mendelssohn’s youthful and energetic Octet for Strings, Op. 20, followed by Mozart’s radiant Coronation Mass. Listening to live classical music inside such a beautiful basilica was one of those travel experiences that cannot be planned around landmarks alone. The music, the setting, and the atmosphere combined to create a memorable final chapter to the day.
Perugia surprised me. I expected a pleasant stopover. Instead, I discovered a city with remarkable depth—one where art, history, architecture, and music quietly weave together into an experience that feels distinctly Umbrian. It left me looking forward even more to what awaited the next day in Assisi.
No comments:
Post a Comment