Day 9 - August 27, 2026
From Bled’s Emerald Gorge to Bohinj’s Peaceful Embrace
Thursday, August 27, 2026
This was one of those days that perfectly balanced adventure and restoration.
It began with one of the most spectacular natural places I’ve ever visited and ended with one of the most relaxing evenings of the trip.
Vintgar Gorge – Slovenia’s Hidden Masterpiece
The alarm rang early because my entry to Vintgar Gorge was scheduled for 8:03 AM. I decided to splurge on a €20 taxifrom Hotel Park, and it turned out to be one of the best decisions of the day.
Arriving that early meant almost no crowds. Soft morning light filtered through the trees and illuminated the emerald-green Radovna River below. Instead of hundreds of tourists, all I could hear was rushing water and birds.
And then the gorge simply took my breath away.
I’ve been fortunate to visit some incredible places—gorges in Iceland and the dramatic landscapes around Lake Louise in Canada—but Vintgar absolutely belongs in that company. The crystal-clear turquoise water, wooden boardwalks suspended above the river, waterfalls, rapids, and towering limestone cliffs create a landscape that feels almost unreal.
It wasn’t just beautiful.
It was mesmerizing.
Walking through the gorge felt less like sightseeing and more like being immersed inside a living work of art created by water over thousands of years.
Without question, Vintgar Gorge has become one of the greatest natural highlights of this entire Europe trip.
An Unexpected Hike
One surprise came at the end of the gorge.
I had expected a short return route, but instead everyone continues along the St. Katarina trail before reaching the shuttle stop.
The return hike took about 50 minutes.
I hadn’t packed water or sunscreen because I wasn’t expecting the additional walk, but thankfully the weather was kind and everything worked out perfectly. The trail itself was peaceful and scenic, making the unexpected detour another pleasant part of the morning.
From there I took the shuttle back to Parking Lot P1, caught the bus into central Bled, returned to Hotel Park, checked out and stored my luggage.
One Last Lunch in Bled
Before leaving Bled I returned to a place that had already become one of my favorites—Kavarna Park.
Lunch was a delicious Caesar salad with grilled chicken, crispy bacon, Parmesan and croutons.
But the real reason I returned?
One more slice of the famous Bled cream cake.
And, naturally…
another cappuccino.
Sitting outside overlooking the lake one last time felt like the perfect farewell to Bled.
Yesterday had been all about discovering the lake.
Today was about appreciating it.
Arriving in Bohinj
Rather than squeezing in one final walk around Lake Bled, I decided to head to Bohinj earlier.
The difference between the two places was immediately noticeable.
Bled is elegant, polished and iconic.
Bohinj feels quieter, slower and much closer to nature.
Within minutes I already sensed this would be a very different experience.
An Evening of Wellness
One of the things I had been looking forward to most was trying the wellness facilities at Hotel Bohinj, and they did not disappoint.
My 60-minute sports massage with Bojana was excellent—one of the best massages I’ve had in quite a while. She found exactly the right balance between therapeutic pressure and relaxation, leaving me feeling noticeably looser after yesterday’s and today’s walking.
After the massage I moved into the wellness area.
Access is organized through reserved time slots, which keeps the spa pleasantly uncrowded.
I spent about an hour and a half moving between the facilities:
- a wonderfully warm Turkish steam bath
- a properly hot Finnish sauna, where I comfortably stayed through an entire sand-timer cycle
- the whirlpool
- a refreshing cold shower
- and finally the relaxation room with its beautiful illuminated salt wall.
Everything felt spotless, modern and thoughtfully designed.
It wasn’t a huge spa.
It was simply done very well.
Dinner Under the Stars
Dinner was at the hotel’s restaurant, where I had reserved a table for 8:30 PM.
I chose to sit outside.
A live musician was performing somewhere in front of the hotel. I never actually saw the singer, but the music floated across the terrace throughout dinner. Hearing Elton John classics mixed with other familiar songs created exactly the kind of relaxed atmosphere that encourages lingering over a meal.
I started with one of the most creatively named soups I’ve ever ordered:
Porcini “Cappuccino.”
A silky porcini mushroom soup served in the style of a cappuccino, topped with local cheese and buckwheat—it was both playful and genuinely delicious.
For my main course I chose the local trout, beautifully prepared and served with seasonal vegetables, lentils and a delicate sparkling wine foam.
Both dishes reflected the hotel’s emphasis on local ingredients without feeling overly complicated.
It was exactly the meal I wanted after such an active day.
Looking Back
Today felt like a transition.
Yesterday was about postcard-perfect Lake Bled.
Today reminded me why I travel.
Standing above emerald water in Vintgar Gorge.
Enjoying one last cream cake overlooking the lake.
A wonderful massage.
The warmth of the sauna.
Live music drifting through the evening air while enjoying fresh Slovenian trout.
None of those moments were rushed.
They were simply experienced.
Sometimes those become the memories that stay with us the longest.
Today’s rating: ★★★★★ (5/5)
Highlights of the day:
- Vintgar Gorge exceeded every expectation and became one of the greatest natural experiences of the trip.
- Perfect early morning visit with beautiful light and almost no crowds.
- One final lakeside lunch—and another unforgettable Bled cream cake.
- Outstanding sports massage by Bojana.
- Excellent wellness facilities at Hotel Bohinj.
- A relaxing dinner accompanied by live music under the Bohinj evening sky.
No comments:
Post a Comment