Saturday, August 29, 2026

 

Day 11 - August 29th, 2026

Lake Bohinj – Rain, a Hidden Beach, and the Perfect Farewell

After yesterday’s incredible Mostnica Gorge hike, today was meant to be my excursion to Ukanc and Savica Waterfall. Instead, Bohinj reminded me that mountain weather makes its own plans.

The morning began with intermittent rain. Rather than giving up on the day, I waited it out before catching the panoramic electric boat to Ukanc around 12:50. The boat itself turned out to be one of the highlights. Because it was electric, it glided almost silently across the lake, allowing me to simply listen to the water and admire the mountains disappearing into low clouds. There were only a handful of passengers on board, making the crossing feel peaceful and intimate.

By the time we reached Ukanc, the rain had become quite heavy. I took shelter under the roof of an open-air restaurant by the pier. Every table was occupied, so I ended up sharing one with a local family. It was one of those small travel moments that make you feel connected rather than inconvenienced.

Lunch was the Komarca salad with mixed greens, boiled egg, ham and cheese, accompanied by not one but two cappuccinos while I watched the rain come and go.

As the shower eased, I briefly considered continuing to Savica Waterfall. I even walked over to the bus stop, hoping to catch the shuttle to the trailhead. But the bus never appeared, the rain returned almost immediately, and after a few minutes I accepted that today simply wasn’t meant to be a waterfall day.

Instead, I boarded the panoramic boat back across the lake.

Back in Ribčev Laz it was still drizzling, so I returned to Hotel Bohinj and settled into one of the downstairs lounges with my Kindle. Coincidentally, the hotel was hosting a wedding. It was unexpectedly enjoyable simply watching the guests arrive and mingle. Everyone looked elegant, and I especially loved the color palette they had chosen—a beautiful muted shade of blue worn by both the men in their suits and the bridesmaids.

After about an hour something changed.

The rain stopped.

The clouds began lifting.

Instead of trying to salvage the original plan, I decided to simply walk along the southern side of the lake.

Following the footpath beside the road, I eventually noticed a tiny trail disappearing through the bushes. On impulse, I followed it.

Suddenly I emerged onto a small natural beach.

It felt completely hidden.

No crowds.

No organized swimming area.

Just crystal-clear water, mountains rising on every side, and complete tranquility.

Without hesitation I went swimming.

It became one of the most magical moments of the entire Slovenia trip.

Floating in the lake, surrounded by untouched nature, with hardly another person nearby, I realized that sometimes the experiences we remember most are the ones we never planned. I stayed there until nearly 6:30 PM, reluctant to leave what felt like my own private corner of Bohinj.

Back at the hotel I had a dinner reservation at Hotel Bohinj’s restaurant.

It turned out to be a wonderful farewell meal.

I started with sparkling water before ordering the Lamb Bajadera—slow-roasted and pressed lamb served with confit leek, smoked carrot and a rich lamb reduction. The flavors were refined yet comforting.

Dessert was even more memorable: the chef’s Interpretation of Gibanica. It featured Bohinj curd cheese ice cream, apple butter, walnut praline, poppy crumble, delicate crispy pulled dough and caramelized walnuts. It was unlike any version of gibanica I had ever imagined—creative, surprisingly light, beautifully balanced and absolutely delicious.

Looking back, today taught me an unexpected lesson.

Sometimes the best travel days are not the ones where everything goes according to plan.

Sometimes they begin with disappointment, washed-out plans and heavy rain.

And then, quietly, almost accidentally, they become unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment