Wednesday, August 26, 2026

 

Day 8 - August 26, 2026

Bled – “Touristy? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.”

This morning I said goodbye to Ljubljana and headed for Bled. A quick taxi ride from Hotel Heritage to the bus station cost just €6, and I arrived around 11:00 AM. There was already a surprisingly long line for the 11:15 bus, and for a moment I thought I might have to wait for the next one. Somehow I ended up with the very last available seat. Ticket: €7. A lucky start to the day.

As the bus wound toward the Julian Alps, I started getting excited. I had wondered whether Bled might be one of those places that looks better in photographs than in real life.

It wasn’t.

First Impression

The moment I saw the lake, I understood why people come from all over the world.

The turquoise water.
The tiny island in the middle.
The medieval castle perched dramatically on a cliff.
The mountains framing everything in the distance.

Yes, it is touristy.

Touristy? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely.

Some places earn their popularity, and Bled is one of them.

Lunch at Kavarna Park

After arriving I had lunch at Kavarna Park, sitting on the terrace overlooking the lake.

I ordered a salmon poke bowl, which was fresh and satisfying, but honestly the real star was the setting. Watching elegant swans glide silently across the lake while looking toward the castle made it feel like lunch inside a postcard.

Of course I couldn’t leave without trying the famous Bled cream cake.

One slice, accompanied by a cappuccino, was exactly the right decision. The cream cake absolutely lived up to its reputation.

Across the Lake

One of my favorite experiences was taking the traditional pletna boat across to Bled Island.

The slow ride across the water felt wonderfully peaceful. Standing on the island, climbing the famous steps to the church, ringing the wishing bell, and looking back toward the castle gave me the classic Bled experience I had imagined before arriving.

Swimming in Lake Bled

If I had to choose the highlight of the day…

It might actually be the swim.

The water was beautifully clear and refreshing after a warm afternoon, and floating while looking across at the island and castle is one of those travel moments that photographs simply cannot capture.

It was peaceful, invigorating, and surprisingly emotional. This is exactly why staying overnight in Bled was the right decision instead of rushing through on a day trip.

Dinner

For dinner I chose Grajska Plaža, conveniently located just above the swimming area where I had been enjoying the lake.

I had a table overlooking the water and ordered:

  • local trout fillet
  • traditional potato salad
  • yogurt sauce
  • a radler
  • cappuccino to finish

The setting was lovely, but the meal itself was simply okay. Perfectly enjoyable, though nothing memorable, and a bit more casual than I had hoped. Next time I’d probably choose a different restaurant while keeping the same spectacular lake view.

A Small Surprise

Throughout the afternoon I kept noticing colorful wings floating silently above the lake.

At first I wondered if they were parasailers, but they were actually paragliders, launching from the surrounding mountains and soaring over Bled. Watching them drift effortlessly above the castle made me think that perhaps one day I’ll come back and try it myself.

Not today.

Today belonged to the lake.


Moments I’ll Remember

  • Getting the last seat on the 11:15 bus.
  • My first view of Lake Bled.
  • Watching swans glide across the water during lunch.
  • Enjoying the famous cream cake with cappuccino.
  • The peaceful pletna ride to the island.
  • Ringing the wishing bell.
  • Swimming in Lake Bled with the castle and island in view.
  • Seeing paragliders floating silently overhead.
  • Realizing that sometimes famous places really do deserve their reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment