Friday, August 28, 2026

 

Day 10 - August 28, 2026

Bohinj – Mostnica Gorge, Voje Valley & Hotel Bohinj Spa

When I woke up this morning, my plans changed completely.

The low clouds I had been seeing over Bohinj turned out not to be clouds at all but Saharan dust hanging over the mountains. After checking the live webcam from Vogel with the hotel receptionist, it was obvious that the views would be disappointing, so instead of forcing the original plan, I pivoted to the Mostnica Gorge (Korita Mostnice) hike.

That spontaneous decision turned into one of the very best days of the trip.

Through the Mostnica Gorge

The hike began just a short walk from Hotel Bohinj, leading first through the village of Stara Fužina before entering the gorge.

From the very beginning it felt completely different from Vintgar.

Where Vintgar is spectacular to admire from above, Mostnica invites you into the landscape. You can walk right beside the river, climb down onto smooth rocks, linger at pools of impossibly clear water, and simply enjoy being close to it.

The colors were unforgettable.

The water shifted constantly between emerald green, deep turquoise and crystal clear blue. The limestone had been sculpted over thousands of years into smooth bowls, narrow channels and fascinating curves by the rushing water. Every turn seemed even prettier than the last.

Unlike many famous gorges, this one never felt crowded or rushed. It encouraged stopping, exploring and simply appreciating the sound of the river.

It immediately became obvious why this hike felt so special.

It wasn’t just beautiful.

It was immersive.

Through Voje Valley

After leaving the gorge, the trail continued into the peaceful Voje Valley (Voje).

Wide alpine meadows opened beneath the surrounding mountains, creating an entirely different atmosphere from the dramatic gorge below.

At the end of the valley sits Planinska koča na Vojah, the mountain hut overlooking the meadows.

Lunch there was simple mountain food but absolutely delicious, made even better by sitting outside with that incredible alpine view.

It was one of those meals that perfectly matches the setting around it.

The Walk Home

Instead of retracing the same route, I returned through the valley and back toward Stara Fužina, which gave the afternoon an entirely different feeling.

The light had softened beautifully.

Cows grazed peacefully on the pastures.

Traditional Slovenian farmhouses, barns, flower boxes and gardens made the village feel wonderfully authentic.

There was something incredibly calming about walking through a place where everyday village life continues much as it always has.

It wasn’t a dramatic ending to the hike.

It was a peaceful one.

And somehow that made it even more memorable.

By the end of the day I had covered nearly 11 miles, walked almost 30,000 steps, and climbed the equivalent of 29 flights of stairs.

Without hesitation, Mostnica Gorge earns a place among my Top 10 favorite hikes.

Practical Notes

One practical lesson for future travelers: bring cash.

Both the entrance fee for Mostnica Gorge and the mountain hut accepted cash only. I was lucky to have my last €25 with me—it was just enough.

Casual Comfort Food

After such a long hiking day, dinner didn’t need to be fancy.

I ate at Karakter Bar, just outside Hotel Bohinj.

A mixed salad topped with crispy fried chicken and another wonderfully refreshing Radler was exactly what I wanted.

I found myself wishing they served a smaller bottle. The standard 0.5-liter bottle is perfect when sharing with Boris, but traveling solo meant finishing the whole thing myself. Still, it’s become one of my favorite drinks of this trip, and wasting any of it felt almost impossible.

Sometimes the most satisfying dinners are the simplest ones.

An Evening of Recovery

At 8:00 PM I returned to the hotel’s wellness center for another massage.

This time I had a 60-minute treatment:

  • 30 minutes focused on my back, neck and shoulders.
  • 30 minutes devoted to my face and scalp.

The therapist was excellent again, and today’s massage was gentler than yesterday’s—deeply relaxing after such an active day.

Afterward I stayed in the spa for a while, enjoying the warm hydrotherapy pool before finishing with another session in the Finnish sauna.

This time I put my head completely under the cold shower afterward, and surprisingly it made the cold plunge feel much more manageable.

It was the perfect way to end a day spent almost entirely outdoors.

Today’s Highlights

  • Mostnica Gorge easily joins my personal Top 10 hikes.
  • The extraordinary emerald and turquoise colors of the river.
  • Walking through peaceful Voje Valley.
  • Lunch with mountain views at Planinska koča na Vojah.
  • Returning through beautiful Stara Fužina in the soft evening light.
  • Seeing cows grazing peacefully in alpine meadows.
  • A wonderfully relaxing massage followed by the spa and sauna.

No comments:

Post a Comment