Thursday, August 20, 2026

 

Europe 2026

Day 1 (08/18-08/19) – From California to the Adriatic

After months of planning, dozens of reservations, countless spreadsheets, packing lists, and conversations with ChatGPT, the adventure finally began.

Boris drove me to San Francisco Airport early in the morning. The drive was smooth, and before I knew it we were saying goodbye. Leaving home for almost six weeks felt a little surreal. I was excited, but also slightly unsettled. It was by far the longest solo trip I had ever taken.

Security at SFO turned out to be the easiest I’ve ever experienced. There wasn’t a single person in line. Within minutes I was through and on my way to the Polaris Lounge.

The United Polaris Lounge at SFO is impressive. Spread over two floors, it offers plenty of seating areas, workspaces, shower suites, and a beautiful sit-down dining room. Although the lounge was fairly busy, it was still easy to find a comfortable place to relax. I waited about fifteen minutes for a table in the dining room and enjoyed scallops and peach burrata as appetizers. Both were delicious. Their signature Polaris burger was good, although not something I’d rave about. I skipped the bun and paired lunch with a glass of Italian Pinot Grigio—my first little taste of Europe before even leaving California.

Boarding was right on time, and I settled into seat 3A. The Polaris seat isn’t the newest business-class product out there, but I found it very comfortable and surprisingly private. The bedding was excellent, with two pillows, a cozy duvet, and an additional mattress pad that made sleeping much easier.

Dinner service was efficient and friendly. I had pre-ordered the black cod after hearing so many recommendations. It was perfectly fine, but I wouldn’t say it was a standout meal.

During the flight I watched The Housemaid, which I really enjoyed, continued reading Isabel Allende’s The House of the Spirits on my Kindle, and managed to sleep almost five hours—far better than I had expected. When I woke up, I brushed my teeth, freshened up, had scrambled eggs with cream cheese and coffee for breakfast, and watched a couple of episodes of The Office, which never fails to make me smile.

Before long we were descending into Rome.

Walking off the plane, I was immediately reminded that I was in Italy in August. The sun was blazing, and the temperature was around 90°F (32°C). From our arrival gate, passengers boarded an air-conditioned bus for the short ride to the main terminal. It was crowded but comfortable.

I followed the signs for transit passengers toward the A gates and encountered passport control. To my amazement, there wasn’t a single person in line. Everything was fully automated, and I was through immigration in less than a minute. It was probably the fastest passport control I’ve ever experienced.

My flight to Trieste was delayed by about half an hour, and there was still no gate assignment, so I decided to have lunch at Eataly.

I was genuinely impressed. The Eataly at Rome Airport is much larger than the one at Valley Fair back home, with numerous restaurants, cafés, fresh markets, and food counters. The entire place was buzzing with people and energy. For lunch I ordered a fresh salmon poke bowl with rice, avocado, edamame, mango, cucumber, and sesame. It was fresh, flavorful, and just the right size—not one of those oversized bowls that leaves you feeling stuffed. After lunch, I treated myself to a proper Italian cappuccino and half of a delicious pasticciotto filled with pastry cream and amarena cherries. It was the perfect little welcome to Italy.

Soon my gate - A46 - was finally announced.

The Rome to Trieste flight wasn’t very full, and once again I got lucky with an empty middle seat next to me. After all the worrying about carry-on weight before leaving home, nobody asked to weigh my luggage. I spent the short flight reading my Kindle while looking forward to finally reaching my first destination.

We landed in Trieste around 7:00 PM.

Trieste Airport was compact and easy to navigate. Within minutes I found the taxi stand. My driver was pleasant and welcomed me warmly. Instead of taking the congested coastal road, he took a scenic route parallel to the coast but higher up along the hillside.

It turned out to be the perfect introduction to Trieste.

As we climbed above the city, he pointed out the Istrian coastline, the lighthouse, and neighborhoods scattered across the hillsides. The Adriatic stretched out below us while the setting sun painted the water in brilliant shades of gold and orange. It was one of those magical arrivals that no amount of planning can create.

The taxi cost €90, and I paid with my credit card.

I had completed online check-in the day before, and the hotel had even called to make sure I had received all the access codes. Everything worked exactly as planned. Within minutes I was in my room.

My first impression of Maria Cristina Boutique Rooms was excellent.

The room is modern, recently renovated, stylish, and thoughtfully designed. The bathroom is beautiful, with a spacious walk-in shower, excellent lighting, a large standing mirror, comfortable bed, plenty of storage, and everything I could possibly need. Most importantly after nearly twenty hours of travel—it was wonderfully quiet.

I took a long, refreshing shower, unpacked just enough to settle in, and headed out to explore.

The waterfront was only a short walk away.

My first glimpse of Trieste was everything I had hoped for. The sea was perfectly calm, sailboats gently rocked in the harbor, and the evening light reflected beautifully across the Adriatic. The city felt elegant, peaceful, and completely different from anywhere else I had visited in Italy before. As I stood watching the sunset, I realized something.

I’m really here.

All the anxiety I had felt before leaving California was gone.

Following ChatGPT’s recommendation, I had dinner at Marinato, a seafood restaurant near the waterfront. I kept things simple and ordered grilled sea bass with roasted vegetables and a fresh salad. The fish was incredibly fresh, perfectly cooked, and exactly what I wanted after a long day of travel. Together with sparkling water, the entire dinner came to just €26, including the traditional Italian cover charge.

Walking back afterward, I couldn’t resist taking more photographs. The harbor looked even more beautiful after dark. Boats rested quietly in the marina, lights shimmered across the water, and the magnificent sailing yacht Koru sat anchored offshore against the fading twilight.

Back in my room, I couldn’t help but smile.

Every flight had gone smoothly.

Every reservation had worked.

The hotel was exactly what I hoped for.

Trieste had already charmed me.

What had started as a day filled with uncertainty ended with complete excitement for the next six weeks.

Tomorrow: Miramare Castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment