Day 13 - August 31, 2026
Rovinj – Learning the Adriatic Rhythm
Today marked my first full day of truly settling into Rovinj’s slower Mediterranean pace. After the active hiking days in Slovenia, it felt wonderful to devote an entire day simply to enjoying the sea.
The beach at Hotel Eden quickly became one of my favorite places on the trip. The Adriatic here is everything I had hoped for—crystal clear, incredibly clean, and wonderfully warm. At around 26°C (79°F), the water was warm enough to stay in comfortably for long swims while still feeling refreshing.
One thing I’m especially grateful I packed was my water shoes. They turned out to be indispensable on Rovinj’s rocky shoreline, making it easy to enter and leave the water without worrying about slippery rocks or sea urchins.
At one point while swimming I brushed against something soft and gelatinous—probably a harmless jellyfish or comb jelly. Thankfully it didn’t sting, but it definitely reminded me that I’d much rather admire sea creatures from a distance than unexpectedly touch them!
What surprised me most was how comfortable the beach remained throughout the day. Even during what should have been the hottest hours, a pleasant Adriatic breeze kept everything remarkably comfortable. Instead of hiding indoors, I found myself happily lingering under the umbrella, swimming, reading, and simply enjoying being by the sea.
Mediterranean Lunch
Lunch was exactly what I wanted after a long swim.
I chose grilled squid, a perfect light Mediterranean meal that felt fresh, healthy, and satisfying without being heavy.
A Different Kind of Workout
For the first time since leaving home, I thought about strength training.
Rather than forcing myself through a full gym session, I opted for something much simpler: an impromptu workout in my room consisting of three sets of seven Bulgarian split squats on each leg using only my body weight.
It was enough to remind my muscles what strength training feels like without taking away from the vacation. Considering all the hiking, walking, and swimming throughout this trip, I realized I’ve actually remained surprisingly active despite taking a break from my normal lifting routine.
Wellness and Relaxation
Instead of the gym, I spent part of the afternoon enjoying Hotel Eden’s wellness facilities.
I relaxed in the saltwater pool, then spent time simply sitting outside in the shade, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere before returning to the beach for another swim later in the afternoon.
It perfectly matched the slower rhythm that Rovinj seems to encourage.
A Lucky Booking
One of the highlights of the day was securing a reservation for the Catamaran Bikini sunset dolphin cruise on Wednesday evening.
The tour was almost completely sold out for the rest of the week, so I felt genuinely lucky to get one of the last available places. Watching dolphins at sunset from a small catamaran promises to be one of the signature experiences of my stay in Croatia.
Dinner at Eclectus
Dinner turned out to be another excellent recommendation.
At Eclectus, I enjoyed a beautifully prepared meal beginning with an octopus salad, followed by bruschetta topped with homemade cream cheese and house-cured salted salmon. A small glass of local Malvazija paired perfectly with the meal, along with sparkling water.
Everything was fresh, beautifully presented, and delicious.
I briefly considered ordering dessert because the food had been so good, but in the end I realized I simply wasn’t hungry anymore. It felt satisfying to finish the meal content rather than eating just because something looked tempting.
Evening Walk Through Rovinj
After dinner, I wandered back toward Hotel Eden through the charming streets of Rovinj, stopping to browse a few shops along the way.
One thing that surprised me was how lively the town remained. Many of the shops were still open until 11 PM, giving the entire Old Town a wonderfully relaxed evening atmosphere. Rather than closing down early, Rovinj seems to come alive after sunset, encouraging leisurely walks, window shopping, and simply enjoying the ambiance.
Favorite moments
- Swimming in the warm, crystal-clear Adriatic.
- Discovering just how valuable the water shoes were.
- Relaxing in the saltwater wellness pool.
- Booking one of the last spots on the sunset dolphin cruise.
- An outstanding seafood dinner at Eclectus.
- Choosing not to order dessert simply because I wasn’t hungry.
- Strolling through Rovinj’s lively evening streets, where shopping continues long after sunset.
Reflection
Today’s greatest luxury wasn’t a particular landmark or attraction—it was having nowhere I absolutely needed to be.
After the structured sightseeing and spectacular hikes of Slovenia, Rovinj invited me to do something different: slow down, linger, swim a little longer, enjoy another glass of wine, browse a few shops, and let the day unfold naturally.
It felt like exactly the right place to be at this stage of the journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment