Saturday, September 5, 2026

 

Day 17 – September 4th, 2026

From the Adriatic to Alsace

Today was a transition day—one chapter closing and another beginning.

After an unforgettable stay in Rovinj, it was time to leave Croatia behind and continue north toward France. The flight from Ljubljana to Paris was pleasantly uneventful, exactly what I hoped for after several weeks of moving through different countries.

During my connection at Charles de Gaulle, I had lunch at Paul’s: a fresh chicken salad and a slice of quiche, then picked up an apricot pastry to enjoy later on the plane along with a bottle of Pellegrino. Simple, satisfying travel food.

From the airport I boarded the TGV for Strasbourg. The ride was smooth, comfortable, and remarkably easy—a reminder of how enjoyable European rail travel can be. My only complaint was the luggage storage arrangement. My suitcase had to be placed at the front of the carriage where I couldn’t keep an eye on it from my seat. Nothing happened, but I found myself thinking that next time it might be worth booking first class. The price difference isn’t significant, and if it offers more convenient luggage storage and a bit more comfort, it could be well worth it.

Arriving in Strasbourg felt like stepping into a completely different chapter of the journey. After weeks of mountains, lakes, forests, and the Adriatic coast, I was now in the heart of Alsace.

A short Uber ride brought me to Hotel Léonor, and I was immediately impressed. The hotel feels thoughtfully renovated—modern and elegant while preserving the character of the historic building. The design strikes a balance between contemporary comfort and timeless style, creating spaces that immediately invite you to slow down.

One of my favorite features is the beautiful courtyard. Filled with comfortable seating both indoors and outside, it feels like a destination in itself. The restaurant serves breakfast there in the mornings, while the bar transforms it into a cozy gathering place in the evening. We finished the day relaxing with tea from Marriage Frères—Imperial Wedding and Milky Blue—both absolutely delicious and a perfect introduction to this next stage of the trip.

The room itself is spacious and beautifully designed, though it reminded me that good design doesn’t always mean perfect functionality. Storage is somewhat limited, with far more hanging space than drawers, the bathroom could use a few more hooks, and opening the window requires moving a small sofa that partially blocks it. None of these are major issues, but they are the kinds of practical details I notice after spending time in thoughtfully designed hotels.

Even with those small inconveniences, my first impression is overwhelmingly positive. Hotel Léonor feels warm, stylish, and welcoming—a wonderful home for discovering Strasbourg over the next couple of days.

Tomorrow, the exploration begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment