Tuesday, September 29, 2026

 

Day 41 - September 28, 2026 

Beneath the Walls of Seceda

My final full day in the Dolomites turned out to be one of the most memorable. Instead of hiking on my own, I joined one of ADLER’s organized excursions—a small international group of about eight guests. A few were Italian, a few German, and several spoke English. Our guide effortlessly switched between all three languages, making everyone feel included.

Rather than following the popular panoramic trails crowded with visitors, he led us onto quieter paths beneath the towering cliffs of Seceda, where we often had the mountains almost entirely to ourselves. It felt like discovering a hidden side of the Dolomites that most visitors never experience.

What I loved most was the incredible variety of landscapes. We walked through beautiful alpine forests filled with pines, larches, and other mountain trees, where the scent of the woods mixed with the cool morning air. The trail constantly changed—from soft forest paths to open alpine meadows, then into dramatic rocky terrain directly beneath the enormous limestone walls of Seceda. Every turn revealed a different perspective of these spectacular mountains.

Before we reached the more technical section, our guide warned us that there would be a few exposed passages. He wasn’t exaggerating. Some stretches were narrow, rocky, and sloped toward steep drop-offs. Wearing my Hoka hiking sneakers, I realized they weren’t ideal for this kind of terrain—the cushioning was wonderful, but the grip wasn’t confidence-inspiring on loose limestone and polished rocks.

Those sections definitely pushed me outside my comfort zone. I found them a bit scary, carefully choosing every step while trying not to look too far down. Fortunately, our guide was incredibly attentive. He noticed when I hesitated and helped me through several of the trickier passages, offering a steady hand and practical advice about where to place my feet. Thanks to him, everything went smoothly, and I finished the hike feeling proud rather than intimidated.

The rewards were more than worth it. The views beneath the towering Seceda cliffs were simply breathtaking, with jagged limestone peaks rising above green alpine pastures and forests below. Standing directly beneath those massive rock faces gave me a completely different appreciation for the scale of the Dolomites than seeing them from scenic viewpoints alone.

One of the day’s unexpected highlights was learning about the area’s fascinating geology. The Dolomites were once part of a warm tropical sea over 200 million years ago, and fossils are surprisingly common in some of these limestone formations. Our guide encouraged us to keep our eyes on unusual-looking rocks along the trail. Several members of our group found beautiful fossil impressions, and it was amazing to hold pieces of ancient marine life in our hands while surrounded by mountains.

He also told us about the famous Besano Formation and other Triassic deposits in the region, where remarkably preserved marine reptiles—including ichthyosaurs (often called “fish lizards”)—have been discovered. It is astonishing to think that these dramatic peaks were once the floor of an ancient ocean, long before the Alps were pushed skyward by tectonic forces.

After returning to the hotel, I spent the rest of the afternoon exactly as I wanted: relaxing at the wonderful ADLER Spa. The pools, gardens, saunas, and quiet relaxation rooms felt even more enjoyable after the day’s adventure. A wonderful massage completed the experience, easing tired muscles and leaving me completely relaxed.

The evening ended with another excellent dinner, followed by live music at the bar. Sitting with a glass of wine, listening to the band, and reflecting on the past week, I realized how special my time in the Dolomites had been. The combination of extraordinary landscapes, challenging but rewarding hikes, outstanding hospitality, and the incredible wellness facilities made this one of the highlights of my entire European journey.

Leaving the next day would be difficult—but I already knew I would be back. Next time, hopefully with Boris, to share these mountains with someone who would love them just as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment