Day 39 - September 26, 2026
One of the Finest Days of My European Journey
If yesterday convinced me that ADLER was an extraordinary spa resort, today confirmed that Ortisei deserves its legendary reputation. It was one of those rare days when everything came together perfectly—the mountains, the weather, the people, the food, and the simple joy of being exactly where I wanted to be.
The Raschötz (Raschiesa) Hike
This morning I joined ADLER’s guided hike to Raschötz (Raschiesa), and without exaggeration it immediately became one of the five most beautiful hikes I’ve ever experienced.
What made it so extraordinary wasn’t one single viewpoint, but the incredible variety packed into a single day.
The trail wound through fragrant forests before opening onto expansive alpine meadows dotted with weathered wooden huts and grazing animals. We crossed rolling grassy ridges that looked like scenes from The Sound of Music, only to suddenly find ourselves beneath the towering limestone walls of the Dolomites.
The scenery was constantly changing.
Every bend in the trail revealed another spectacular panorama. Every ridge seemed to outdo the previous one.
One of my favorite moments was coming across a group of donkeys peacefully grazing in the mountain pastures. They looked perfectly at home in this idyllic landscape and added another layer of charm to an already unforgettable hike.
The terrain itself was wonderfully varied—soft forest paths, open alpine pastures, gentle climbs, rocky mountain sections, panoramic ridgelines and endless meadows filled with fresh mountain air. It never became repetitive. Instead, it felt like walking through several completely different landscapes in one hike.
Mother Nature couldn’t have been more generous today.
The weather was absolutely perfect, with brilliant sunshine, pleasantly cool temperatures and spectacular visibility. The mountains stretched endlessly into the distance, every ridge crisp and sharply defined. Days like this are a gift in the Alps.
The evening before I had ordered ADLER’s hiking lunch (€19), which turned out to be excellent. Inside was a delicious focaccia sandwich, bottled water, an energy bar and a cookie. It was actually more food than I needed. I ate about half the sandwich while sitting high in the mountains surrounded by breathtaking scenery and saved the rest for later.
Seceda – A Place Beyond Expectations
After finishing the hike, I decided I couldn’t leave Ortisei without finally seeing Seceda.
Nothing prepares you for that first view.
The famous ridgeline rises dramatically above emerald-green alpine meadows, with enormous limestone cliffs plunging toward the valley below. Behind them stretches an endless procession of jagged Dolomite peaks. It is one of those landscapes that simply stops you in your tracks.
I understood immediately why Seceda has become one of the iconic views of the Alps.
The guide told us that mornings can become incredibly crowded, but visiting in the afternoon turned out to be perfect. There were certainly visitors, yet there was still plenty of space to quietly sit on a bench, admire the mountains and simply absorb the moment.
I had briefly considered stopping for a drink at the mountain restaurant, but instead chose to sit alone overlooking the cliffs. It turned out to be exactly the right decision.
Sometimes the view itself is enough.
The lift tickets, however, are expensive.
Earlier in the day I had already paid €24 for the first lift to meet the hiking group. Only during the hike did our guide mention the Gardena Card, which costs €120 for three days and would have provided much better value. Unfortunately, by then it was too late—I had already purchased today’s ticket.
Later I paid another €68 to ride up to Seceda and all the way back down to Ortisei, bringing today’s transportation total to €92.
I do wish I had known about the Gardena Card beforehand.
Still…
Looking back, every euro felt worthwhile.
Some places truly deserve their reputation.
Seceda is unquestionably one of them.
Back at ADLER
Returning to the hotel felt almost like coming home.
I finished the rest of my focaccia sandwich while sitting comfortably at the bar with a perfectly made cappuccino, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere after such an active day.
A Mediterranean Feast
Dinner somehow managed to exceed even yesterday’s outstanding meal.
Tonight’s theme celebrated the Mediterranean, and the buffet was astonishing.
There was an incredible selection of seafood, including my favorite large baked scallops served in their shells, baked oysters, beautiful sashimi, several perfectly prepared fish dishes and tender venison, along with countless salads and Mediterranean specialties.
The quality throughout was exceptional.
Then came the dessert buffet.
Just when I thought ADLER couldn’t surprise me again, I walked into what looked like a luxury pâtisserie.
There was a flowing chocolate fountain surrounded by fresh strawberries, refreshing lemon sorbet served inside frozen real lemons, elegant mousse cakes, fruit tarts, miniature pastries, creamy tiramisu, beautifully crafted cakes and desserts in every imaginable shape and flavor.
Choosing was nearly impossible.
In the end I stayed surprisingly restrained.
I enjoyed fish, a small portion of venison, scallops, sashimi, strawberries dipped into the chocolate fountain, the wonderfully refreshing lemon sorbet, and tiny tastes—less than a bite each—of several other desserts simply to experience their flavors.
Reflections
Today reminded me why I travel.
Not to rush from one famous attraction to another, but to experience days exactly like this.
A magnificent guided hike through one of the world’s most beautiful mountain landscapes.
One of the most breathtaking viewpoints I’ve ever visited.
Perfect weather.
Quiet moments simply sitting on a bench overlooking Seceda.
Returning to what has become my favorite spa resort.
And ending the day with extraordinary food.
Some travel days are enjoyable.
Others become lifelong memories.
Today unquestionably became one of the latter.
No comments:
Post a Comment