Sunday, September 27, 2026

Day 40 - September 27, 2026

A Perfect Day on Alpe di Siusi

After yesterday’s dramatic cliffs and knife-edge ridges of Seceda, today was intentionally gentler. I woke feeling noticeably better—thankfully whatever had sidelined me for a couple of days finally seemed to be fading. The morning was brilliantly clear, with deep blue skies promising another beautiful Dolomites day.

After a leisurely breakfast at ADLER Dolomiti, I took the Ortisei–Alpe di Siusi (Mont Sëuc) gondola up to Europe’s largest high alpine meadow. Almost immediately, the atmosphere felt completely different from Seceda. Instead of towering cliffs overhead, Alpe di Siusi is all about vast open spaces, gently rolling green pastures, scattered wooden huts, grazing animals, and the spectacular backdrop of the Sassolungo (Langkofel) and Sassopiatto (Plattkofel) massifs dominating the horizon.

The hike itself wasn’t particularly challenging, but it was wonderfully relaxing. The broad gravel paths meandered through open meadows beneath impossibly blue skies. At one point I stopped at Schgaguler Schwaige simply for water, sitting outside for a few minutes and enjoying the peaceful atmosphere before continuing toward Baita Sanon.

When I finally reached Sanon, I discovered one of those moments that simply cannot be rushed. Comfortable lounge chairs had been placed on the grass overlooking one of the most beautiful mountain panoramas imaginable. I settled into one, looking directly toward Sassolungo and Sassopiatto, and immediately lost all motivation to continue hiking. It was one of those rare travel moments when doing absolutely nothing felt like exactly the right decision.

I wasn’t even hungry despite the time, so rather than forcing myself to eat lunch simply because it was lunchtime, I simply relaxed in the sunshine, soaking in the silence and the magnificent scenery. Sometimes the best part of a hike isn’t the walking—it’s allowing yourself to simply be present.

Eventually, I pulled myself away from that perfect chair and continued the return hike. The second half climbed gradually back toward the Mont Sëuc station through forests and meadows. It wasn’t difficult, just enough uphill to feel like I’d earned my afternoon at the spa.

Back at ADLER, the day somehow became even better. I spent several blissful hours enjoying every corner of the spa. I floated between the indoor and outdoor pools, lingered in the beautiful garden while basking in the warm afternoon sunshine, and stretched out in the quiet relaxation rooms with nothing to do except appreciate how peaceful everything felt. I also spent time in the ladies-only sauna, which quickly became one of my favorite parts of the wellness area—calm, beautifully designed, and wonderfully restorative after two days in the mountains.

At 6:00 PM I had a massage that was exactly what my body needed. The therapist seemed to find every tired hiking muscle without making the treatment overly intense, and afterward I felt completely relaxed.

Dinner that evening was another highlight. Once again, ADLER reminded me why I had been looking forward to this stay. Excellent food, attentive service, and the elegant atmosphere made for a perfect ending to a nearly flawless day. After spending the afternoon completely unwinding, I enjoyed every course even more than usual.

Looking back, today wasn’t about conquering peaks or covering impressive distances. It was about slowing down, appreciating the extraordinary beauty of Alpe di Siusi, and giving myself permission to linger in one perfect spot simply because I didn’t want to leave. And then, instead of rushing off to another attraction, I returned to one of Europe’s finest mountain spa hotels and allowed myself to enjoy it exactly as it was meant to be enjoyed.

Sometimes travel is about discovering new places.

Sometimes it’s about finding the perfect chair with the perfect view, sinking into warm pools afterward, ending the day with a wonderful massage and an exceptional dinner—and realizing there’s nowhere else you’d rather be.

No comments:

Post a Comment