Saturday, September 26, 2026

 

Day 37 - September 24

A Perfect Farewell to Merano

Today was my last full day in Merano, and it turned out to be a wonderful blend of art, nature, and relaxation.

I began the morning at the “Frauen im Licht / Luce di Donna” exhibition at Palais Mamming, which explored how women have been portrayed in art over the past century—from being primarily subjects and muses to becoming artists telling their own stories. It was a thoughtful way to start the day.

From there I wandered onto the beautiful Gilfpromenade, eventually climbing to the famous Tappeiner Promenade. The path wound high above Merano through Mediterranean vegetation, cypress trees, vineyards, and endless viewpoints over the town.

The hike grew much longer than I had expected. At one point I stopped at Knödelglück, where I realized just how dehydrated I had become. I drank an entire liter of still water almost immediately. It’s amazing how much better I felt afterward—the fatigue I had blamed on my lingering virus was, at least in part, simply dehydration.

Lunch was a beautiful autumn salad filled with roasted pumpkin, creamy soft cheese, pears, walnuts, chickpeas, berries, and fresh greens. It was exactly what my body wanted after the long walk.

The return proved more adventurous than planned. I kept expecting another convenient descent back into town, but eventually found myself near Quarazze with a forty-minute wait for the next bus. Instead, I called a Smart Taxi, which arrived within ten minutes and brought me back to the hotel for just €16. Not exactly the ending I had envisioned, but certainly the most comfortable one.

Back at Terme Merano, I enjoyed what would become one of the highlights of my stay: another massage with Sasinan, the wonderful Thai therapist who had also given me my previous treatment. She has an exceptional touch—firm when needed, intuitive, and incredibly relaxing. If I ever return to Merano, I will definitely request her again.

Dinner was back at the hotel’s Bistro. I ordered the same delicious soup with the two dumplings that I had enjoyed on my first evening in Merano, along with a different salad topped with tuna and mozzarella. Both were simple, fresh, and satisfying—exactly the kind of meal I wanted after such an active day.

Looking back, Merano exceeded every expectation. Between the beautiful promenades, outstanding spa facilities, unforgettable massages, and relaxed atmosphere, it became one of the most restorative stops of my entire journey. It is definitely a place I would love to revisit someday—perhaps for a longer wellness-focused stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment